Ordinary People Doing the Extraordinary, The Story of Edwin and Joyce Koupal, Founders of People’s Lobby. By Dwayne Hunn and Doris Ober. Ralph Nader’s take on the book was…
The Year’s (2009) Ten Best Books
Read, Then Act
By RALPH NADER
This husband-wife team “just ordinary people,” in their words, started out powerless and in over a decade, largely in the seventies, built Initiative power to qualify reforms on the California ballot for the popular vote. A story for the ages that strips away excuses steeped in a sense of powerlessness. This small but invigorating paperback can be obtained from The People’s Lobby ( www.peopleslobby.us ) for $13.00, shipping included in that price. Check to People’s Lobby, c/o Marlene Hunn 1817 California St., Unit 201, San Francisco , CA 94109, 415-673-0369.
You may call 415-673-0369 to order the book.
Print and mail this form or insert your own order form and where the book(s) should be sent with $13. per book.
Beyond a purchase, why not consider setting up a…
- Talk about the book.
- Tell fun stories about working with Ed and Joyce Koupal and how their People’s Lobby (PLI) revived the grassroots initiative process, including how they pulled Nader through PLI’s doors.
- Discuss reforms being called for on the initiative process.
- Explain how People’s Lobby’s (PLI) launched the drive to establish a national initiative process and held three days of Senate Judiciary Committee Hearings on Senate Joint Resolution 67 to do so.
- Dissect the failed National Initiative for Democracy Campaign of 2002.
- Reveal how 2008 presidential candidate and former U. S. Senator Mike Gravel milked PLI of over $450,000 dollars (not including the promissory note interest signed off on and written by Gravel).
- Show some Power Point slides that touch on the above
- Answer your questions about PLI’s present day activities.
- Maybe opine on why Nader admired the Koupals so much.
Why might this book be of interest to you or your friends? Because:
- People’s Lobby was the grassroots initiative factory that used NON-PAID volunteers to qualify two Clean Environment Initiatives.
- Prepared California and its Assembly to usher in an era of environmentalism by failing to pass two Clean Environment Initiatives into law.
- Established California’s Fair Political Practices Commission by passing California’s Political Reform Act with 70% of the vote.
- Beat BIG CORPORATE AND PR money in doing so.
- Directed the 18 state Western Bloc Nuclear Moratorium Campaign, which in many ways demonstrated a national initiative process and educated the nation on the dangers of nuclear power.
- Held three days of Senate Judiciary Committee Hearings on implementing a National Initiative Process (leading to Senate Joint Res. 67 of 1977).
- Funded and field-directed the Maine 2002 National Initiative for Democracy Campaign kickoff.
- Sponsors today’s American World Service Corps (AWSC) Congressional Proposals and Fair Tax Bracket Reinstitution Act Proposal (FTBRA).
So, consider bringing together some people to gain insights into what Ralph Nader calls,
“This small but invigorating paperback….”
“A story for the ages that strips away excuses steeped in a sense of powerlessness. “
Learn how the Koupals’ People’s Lobby:
Used to lecture (and tick-off) not only Nader but also Jerry Brown and other political luminaries (Reagan, Roberti, Lowenstein…) and institutional powers such as PG&E, Southern California Edison, nuclear, oil, auto…who instituted special training programs on how to handle Edwin Koupal.
And is working today to implement its citizen-initiated:
American World Service Corps (AWSC) Congressional Proposals and Fair Tax Bracket Reinstitution Act Proposal (FTBRA) to revitalize America’s character, economy, and standing in the world.